Sunday, July 1, 2007

The moral compass

Until today, I have been able to tolerate Al Gore because the message he has been circulating about our planet is one that needs to be heard. If I have to put up with his ego to do it, I can. But a sentence in his op-ed in today's NY Times has me boiling.

"Throughout most of our short history, the United States and the American people have provided moral leadership for the world. "

That sentence summarizes exactly what the rest of the world hates about Americans. Americans have been the moral compass for Americans.

But, in case you doubt me, here are some examples of this moral directioning:

- WWII: In 1939, while Britain, France, Australia, New Zealand and Canada declared war on Germany, the U.S. was declaring its neutrality.

- American Native genocide.

- K.K.K.

- Jenna Six

- Iraq.

The list, obviously, could go on. My point is not to attack the U.S. -- many countries including my own could create a similar list -- but the penchant of many Americans to believe in their own superiority while knowing so little of the rest of the world.

I am still going to do my bit for the planet, but, Al, you have got to cut the patriotic rhetoric.

I'll keep my own moral compass pointed North.

And Happy Birthday, Canada! You're not looking too shabby for a 140-year-old.

Colleen

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is amusing how often that refrain is chanted in American politics. As if!

But in this case. I'd rather think that Gore believes no such thing, that he's engaging in a little sweet talk that will cause people outside the United States to chuckle derisively, and some Republicans to swell with pride. And they're the group he desperately needs to reach right now, if the US is to have any hope of changing its status as the world's worst polluter.

And if anyone thinks I'm way too smug for a Canadian, they're right. My own government's position on global climate change embarrasses me.

Colleen said...

Sadly, the need to speak to overblown American morality says something about our neighbours that I wish wasn't so. If people didn't believe they were the moral right, the rhetoric wouldn't work. Ugh. And yes, as Canadians we can do a lot better on a number of fronts. The one thing I am glad of is that we don't run amok in the world believing we are so much better than everyone else. For Gore to have used WWII as an example was laughable, yet, widely believed to be true. Enough already. Read a history book.

Anonymous said...

Hey dont beet on Aal too hard... I think its a personality complex you have with him ...He is like just trying to do something good ...He has acomplished so much in a sence of bringing together at group of people in a cause that really needs to set home into the minds of people a thought ...the spin off to that sort of action will have results ...if nothing else it shows that globaly the people can unite in a cause ...Big busness must be pulling out their hair ...sorry for the spelling and lack of .,':? Katou

Colleen said...

Katou:

I didn't mean to be hard on Al. Whatever his motivations -- and I hope they are the right ones -- he is bringing attention to an issue that is critical to our home.

I was irritated by his statement that Americans lead the world morally. That is arrogant beyond belief. At the same time, I recognize that he probably said that to curry favour from the American public. But I truly wish Americans would stop feeding that crap to each other. When a people believe they hold the moral right, they can justify too many wrong acts. (You only have to look at British attitudes while they were taking over Canada and negotiating treaties to see how badly a self-inflated sense of righteousness can turn out.)

But as far as bringing attention and getting wide support for the environment, Al has done great things.

Colleen

Anonymous said...

Hi colleen I do have to agree with you on the somewhat arrogance that our neighbours seem to display ...I think it is that whole notion of being patriotic that we as kids were not subjected to ..I think maybe what Al was saying is that the world looks at them as a super power and a great nation ..one that can give guidance into moral issues .Even growing up and loving my dad and looking to him for that sort of thing I did realise there was a much bigger picture that even he was not in touch with ....Its sad to watch a country like the US and see such a decline from morals and principals that were put into there constitution ...they are going to face a hard time trying to reestablish integrity back into themselves ....I just hope they have the will to do that ...Katou