Monday, July 9, 2007

Canada's Arctic

Prime Minister Harper -- I love using his name, because whenever I do someone from the House of Commons logs in to see what I've written about the man -- today announced "the construction of up to eight Polar Class 5 Arctic Offshore Patrol Ships and the establishment of a deep water port in the far North."

The reason is simple. the U.S. doesn't acknowledge Canada's sovereignty in the Far North. Every now and then, the U.S. sends a ship up there and we have to complain to get them to leave.

I guess moving all those Inuit families to remote locations with nothing to do, no economy, no wildlife, etc. didn't do the trick.

Maybe spending approximately $7.5 billion on ships, a port and maintenance
will.

Seriously, President Bush, do you really need all that ice and snow for a new military base? I know you want it, but do you NEED it?

If you'd like to find out about Inuit relocation, I've included a few links.

Sovereignty and suffering

Relocation anniversary

If you'd like to read the news release, I've included it below as it isn't posted on the PM's site yet.

PRIME MINISTER STEPHEN HARPER ANNOUNCES NEW ARCTIC OFFSHORE PATROL SHIPS

Canada’s New Government to move forward with deep water port in the Arctic

July 9, 2007

ESQUIMALT, BRITISH COLUMBIA

Prime Minister Stephen Harper today announced the construction of up to eight Polar Class 5 Arctic Offshore Patrol Ships and the establishment of a deep water port in the far North.

“Canada has a choice when it comes to defending our sovereignty over the Arctic. We either use it or lose it. And make no mistake, this Government intends to use it. Because Canada’s Arctic is central to our national identity as a northern nation. It is part of our history. And it represents the tremendous potential of our future,” said Prime Minister Harper.

These new Polar Class 5 Arctic Offshore Patrol Ships will be custom-designed and built in Canada, and will be amongst the heaviest, most versatile armed naval vessels capable of sustained operations in ice. With steel-reinforced hulls, they will be capable of operating in ice up to one metre thick, and each vessel will also be equipped with a helicopter landing pad. They will be able to patrol the length of the Northwest Passage during the summer navigable season and its approaches year-round, and will also be capable of full operations on the East and West Coasts throughout the year.

To conduct sea-borne surveillance operations in the Arctic, a deep water port will be constructed to allow the patrol ships to re-supply and re-fuel.

“In defending our nation’s sovereignty, nothing is as fundamental as protecting Canada’s territorial integrity; our borders, our airspace and our waters,” said the Prime Minister. “More and more, as global commerce routes chart a path to Canada’s North and as the oil, gas and minerals of this frontier become more valuable, northern resource development will grow ever more critical to our country.”

The estimated cost of acquiring the Arctic Offshore Patrol Ships is $3.1 billion, with approximately $4.3 billion provided for operations and maintenance over their 25-year lifespan.
The procurement strategy will conform to the Canadian Shipbuilding Policy Framework, which requires the federal government to procure, repair and refit vessels in Canada.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is the Canadian PM's relationship with Dubya cooling? Could this be the start of the next "cold war?" Will both sides pursue a strategy of mutually assured refrigeration?

Sorry for that. It's late and I'm feeling a little silly.

Colleen said...

;-)

On a serious note, I wish the relationship was a little less friendly. Our PM has actually started saying: "God Bless Canada."

It makes my skin crawl.

Unknown said...

Don't mess with Texas, err, I mean, Alberta...

ssas said...

found you through Stephen's site.

Oh ick, why would anyone cling to Bush? He's a lame duck, albeit with billions of guns firing into the air.

Colleen said...

Hi Sex Scenes:

Nice of you to drop by.

I think I can safely sum it up this way:

Canadian Conservative governments, such as this one, tend to ally themselves with the US regardless of the prez. Liberal governments, such as the previous one, tend to get as far away as possible from cronyism with the States.

A Member of Parliament in the last government publically called Bush a moron. It caused some headlines and finger pointing by the opposition (Conservatives) but nothing else.

I can only wonder whether Canada would have joined in the Iraq War if the current gov't had been in power back then.

In other words, it has more to do with political bent than personalities.

Ugh!

SmartlikeStreetcar said...

Colleen and Sex Scenes:

Oh, I know this one. if Harper was PM, we most certainly would have joined the Coalition of the Willing. He couldn't believe that Chretien was betraying our most trusted and natural ally, and said so repeatedly.

Now that the Iraq war has gone so wrong, he merely says that he wants to support our American allies by being a vital cog in the war against terrorism in Afghanistan.

Anonymous said...

Hi new here but like to make a comment ...weather liberal conservative or any other Euro form of government we have in power they will give into big business ...when you look at the governments policies on accountability you find a buricuricy that has many holes to filter moneys out ...and into bank accounts around the world where they have decided to retire to ...
think about this ...patrol the arctic, isnt that the last untouched frontier in a sense ...Big ships haul big amounts of valuable commodities which in turn require much defence ...I cant imagine who would invade us ...I can imagine large tankers hauling all that fresh water to many needy places in the world AND THE MUCH MONEY IT WILL PROVIDE TO THE MANY who can make a profit ....what about diamond exploration that has just begun and is quickly turning into one of the worlds leading diamond producers .maybe that's why they are fighting these terrorists ...hey isnt a terrorist someone that would dare shoot at you ...I think that the US government ...moron bush and his cronies are in bed with the same bed partners as Canada ...they are both Eurion in nature and there is much much money in this sort ov endeavors ...its not the people players as much as it is the system they find themselves in ....its the same people that make all the money or at least the most money .and they have much sway in foreign policy and economics..more tanks foe afghanistan and more ships for the arctic is hardly a cure for protection ...that sort of equipment is built to destroy ...the Canadian government doesnt have a grip on the Canadian people yet are willing to get involved in a war that was started on false premises ...what about the differences we have at home when the govt.will not deal with aboriginal rights. what about the aboriginals of that part of the world ..they and I mean the big boys want to control the distribution of oil and cocaine ....more big bucks..its about the bucks...hey thanks for the opp.to blog ....Katou

Colleen said...

SLSC: I wonder at our beliefs that make it okay to send young people off to be killed. At the old people who make the decisions to send them there. There is something horrifying about that, don't you think? C

Colleen said...

Hi Katou:

It's funny, I was having a conversation with my family about issues that touch on some of your commnents just the other day.

On the issue of cultural inclinations -- like Euro forms of government or perspectives -- there are many things about ourselves that we can't see because they are so ingrained. That's why it's so important to welcome diverse views into conversations.

The hope I have for big business is that ultimately it must be self-serving. If we (the general population) learn to speak out strongly, to make our purchases, etc. based on intelligent, moral choices, big business will have to change. We are seeing some of this already as companies become more green, for example. Maybe I'm being too naive -- something I've been accused of before -- but I believe that individuals can make a difference. Otherwise, we are powerless and that is too depressing to consider.

I also agree that we need to deal with Aboriginal rights here at home before we race off around the world trying to fix other problems. If the government had an honest intent to settle claims, it could be done quickly and without wasting vast amounts of money in court fighting against Native peoples.

I think we need to keep a close eye on Northern development to make our voices heard if Inuit and First Nations rights aren't honoured.

Sorry, for this long reply.

Thanks for commenting. I hope to hear from you again.

Colleen

terrytaurus said...

Hi Colleen ...its becoming more evident that Harper's govt is going to threw with the northern patrol ...I think that could be done much better with air patrols at a much better cost ...as for exercising soventry he could do much in the case of the proposed L&G terminal the US wants to place in a location that is environmentally sensitive and one that the people absolutely do not want ...In the Times Transcript dated July 10th it mentions about the Frigates being available for commercial use as well ...I dont know if this is away of avoiding the Grassy Narrows blockades but my guess with so much untouched resources available to big business and being able to bypass much of the rest of Canada this might be quite strategic ...as for anyone invading us in a military sense well that would not make sense even to the most desperate to do so ..
Call me senical ...guilty ...but I dont trust this government to make any good desisions for me ...and I dont believe they have the rest of Canada's best intrests either ....thanks and have a good one ....Katou

Colleen said...

Hi Katou:
I hadn't heard that comercial interests would be able to use the new transportation. How interesting. I must look up that Times article. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi Colleen I wanted to drop by with a link to something you may enjoy reading or allowing others to look at feel free to delete this post ...I know its not about the artic but may give way to trying to understand the more confusing issues we all wrestle with ....thanks ..Katou..
http://www.rense.com/general75/zoil.htm