Tuesday, March 20, 2007

The boy has returned

My 15 year-old son arrived home today after being away for 12 days. It's great to see him. We share the same weird sense of humour so when he's away I miss him for that reason as well as for the traditional mom-son reasons.

It was storming here this morning and I thought his flight might be delayed, but an hour before he landed the snow ended and spring arrived. Precipitation has since turned back to snow and the wind has recommenced to howl, but he's home so that's just fine.

I confess that when I saw him at the airport I had to look twice to make sure it was him. He's really growing up. I know, I know, they do that.

He'll be 16 at the end of the month. One of those milestone events that remind me that he won't be here forever and that someday soon I won't have him around to joke with, to talk with and to hug goodnight. (Geez, this is getting sappy fast, isn't it?)

As kids get older one of their most important jobs is to break away from mom and dad and to establish their own identities. My son sometimes struggles with this because, aside from our humour, we also share like goals of wanting to be writers. He as a screenwriter, me as a novelist. Because he needs his writing to be separate from mine, he rarely discusses his work with me. I look forward to the day when he is comfortable with our separateness so he can share this part of himself with me.

Maybe that's something that I can look forward to as I prepare myself for the day that he sets out on his own and creates his own place, his own space.

His arrival today and his pending birthday has reminded me what a great person he is. I hope he knows that in that place deep inside that we all need to be strong to carry us through whatever comes along.

Fortunately, I still have a lot of time left to keep on reminding him.

Colleen

No comments: