Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Buddhist extremists?

Today's news reports Buddhist extremists have been accused of carrying out an assault on Muslims.

''We don't shoot innocent Muslims. We only shoot insurgents,'' he [Maj. Gen. Phitak Iadkaew, founder of Thais United] said. ''They deserve to be killed.''

The last group I held out any hope of continuing their tradition of pacifism has now got its own set of extremists.

Colleen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This may be an example of my staggering ignorance, but when I've thought of Buddhism, I've always thought of peoples out in the remote parts of Asia. I didn't think of Buddhism as a religion prevalent in bustling metropolises. (This is my stereotype and I'm sticking to it, facts be damned! ;-) If I'm not as ignorant as I think, this may say something for the values of the garden variety Buddhist. However, the cynic in me wonders if your post is an example of human nature shining through... when people are no longer isolated they tend to shoot first and ask questions later.

SmartlikeStreetcar said...

And so we've created another great oxymoron... Buddhist Extremists, to go with jumbo shrimp, military intelligence, friendly fire, and other great combinations on the modern age. :-)