So, I have made my first pass at my one little thing to change the world and was shot down. OK, that's a rather dramatic representation of what actually happened. I made a small foray into another world and was thanked and told, very politely, to run along. Not one to give up, I have responded, in a way that I hope is interpreted as being respectful, that I think I have something of value to contribute and am open to exploring the options if ever the person I have contacted deems it appropriate.
Is that sufficiently obscure?
Here's my dilemma.
I'm a white girl (At 47, it may be impolitic to refer to myself as being a girl, but using woman seems more formal than I am feeling in this context.) wanting to apply my area of expertise (public relations) in an area of great interest to me and, I think, in great need of strategic communication support -- First Nations' issues.
How does someone like me get her manicured foot in the door without offending anyone or seeming like a dilettante?
I am of the belief that if First Nations peoples have to wait another 300 years for some semblance of justice to prevail it will be not only make a mockery of western civilization, but will cause untold hardship to so many and quite unnecessarily.
Is there a person on our planet who can intelligently argue that First Nations peoples have not survived through hundreds of years of the most horrible depredations at the hands of European settlers? The horrors that have been visited upon these groups are well documented by the governments who sanctioned and lead the atrocities so it how could it be argued otherwise?
That these peoples have survived at all is a magnificent testimony to endurance, patience and fortitude.
It is time for us, all of us -- for in a democracry we are the government -- to do better.
But, I don't mean to lecture or preach. I do get carried away sometimes.
In short, I am hoping to be able to help. The only way I know how to do so is by using what I know -- communication strategies and tactics -- to raise awareness, increase mainstream society's opportunities to educate itself, and to help get public support to force politicians to listen and act.
In other words, to help people do the right thing.
Wouldn't that be a great "one little thing to do?"
Advice would be appreciated.
Stay tuned.
Friday, January 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment